Ships Ahoy! The Tall Ships Races Sunderland 2018 – Day 1
Written by Spark on 10th July 2018
Months of planning and its finally here the Tall Ships Races Sunderland has arrived.
Whats on Today?
Today will see Event Zone B & C open from 10am – 10pm with Event Zone A open from 4pm until 10pm. The day will also see some ships arrive into Sunderland which means there will be spectacular viewing from the seafront and along the river wear quays.
The official Tall Ships Market will also open today in Event Zone C featuring food from around the world and from home.
There will also be a full stage programme in place in Event Zone B on the city’s Town Moor with highlights from
- He Knows, She Knows
- Coastal (who will also feature on Spark Breakfast on Wednesday)
And many more performances which you can click here to see.
The observation wheel will also be open in Event Zone B so why not take a trip on that and see the sights from a height.
Some other highlights
- 3pm -7.30pm – Old-school games, football and athletics at the Multi Use Games Area in Event Zone C.
- 4pm -10pm – Free family activities in Event Zone C in the Discovery Marquee.
- 5pm & 6.30pm – Penella Bee will entertain the crowds with an interactive performance “Senora’s Gambit” played out on a giant chess board in Event Zone A.
- 6pm & 7pm – Emma Bloomfield presents “Jack’s Story”, an aerial circus re-enactment of the story of Jack Crawford,the Hero of Camperdown, in Event Zone B, at the Barrack Street Entrance to the Port.
- Today we will have reporters out and about in the field so if you see them stop and say hi!
- We will also be speaking to people ahead of our full Tall Ships Races Programming which starts tomorrow!
- To view all you need for travel and any other information click here.
- And don’t forget to tune in to 107FM, Online or via the Radio Player or the Tune In App on your mobile or smart speaker.