Martin Bain leaves Sunderland AFC
Written by Scott McGerty on 23rd May 2018
Sunderland have announced the departure of chief executive officer Martin Bain after making the position redundant.
Bain was appointed to the role in May 2016 but has left the club following the completion of Stewart Donald’s £40million takeover on Monday.
He has held similar positions with Rangers and Israeli club Macabbi Tel Aviv, and said he hoped for better fortunes for the Black Cats.
Sunderland will play in the third tier of English football next season following a second successive relegation last month.
Sunderland AFC’s owner, Stewart Donald, said:
“We would like to place on record our sincere thanks to Martin for all of his efforts during his time at the club and in particular for his work during the takeover process, which we very much appreciate. We wish him well for the future.” – Stewart Donald, Sunderland AFC Owner
Sunderland will be debt-free in League One next season after Donald completed his club takeover.
Donald said the club’s new manager, yet to be installed following Chris Coleman’s departure, will have a transfer budget which will dwarf that of the Black Cats’ new third-tier rivals.
Donald said on Monday he hoped to install the club’s new manager within seven days.
Martin Bain’s statement revealed his postition had been made redundant:
“My position of CEO at Sunderland AFC has been made redundant and I will be leaving the club with immediate effect. I wish the new owners and those involved with the club moving forward well for the future.” – Martin Bain
Meanwhile concluding his statement, Martin Bain spoke highly of his time in Sunderland.
“During the last two years, I have had the honour and pleasure of working alongside a dedicated and passionate group of staff, who have nothing but the best interests of the club at their core. It has been a testing period personally in exceptionally difficult circumstances and I sincerely wish for a brighter future for the club and its supporters.” – Martin Bain