7 Things You Need to Know About UK Eurovision Entry Surie
Written by Scott McGerty on 1st May 2018
SuRie will represent the UK at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.
The singer fended off competition from five other entrants at the BBC’s Eurovision: You Decide 2018 televised event in a public vote in February, and will perform Storm at the live final in Lisbon, Portugal, on May 12.
Here are seven things you need to know about SuRie.
1. SuRie, whose real name is Susanna Marie Cork, lived in Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, before moving to London five years ago.
She recently spoke of the impact living in the town had on her in terms of her musical career.
She told the Hertfordshire Mercury: “When I was in Stortford I did literally everything I possibly could artistically. The town was just huge for me, dramatically and musically.
“I was the girl who was always singing in assembly and writing the songs for the Christmas contest and every night of the week I was at the Jenny Myhill School of Dance. I lived for that place.”
2. Her foray into music began in her childhood, when she started writing music at the age of 12. She also performed for royalty, singing for the Prince of Wales as a child soloist.
She started performing at Bishop’s Stortford pub The Half Moon in an Acoustic Club from the age of 14.
In recent years she has provided backing vocals for Coldplay frontman Chris Martin and Will Young among others.
3. SuRie is a classically trained musician, having graduated from the Royal Academy of Music, and she can play the piano.
She was recently elected an Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, an honour to former students for their significant contribution to music.
4. SuRie has appeared at Eurovision twice before.
She was a backing singer for Belgium entrant Loic Nottet in 2015, and worked as the musical director for Belgian hopeful Blanche in 2017.
5. In December 2016 she released her debut album, Something Beginning With…, which is available on Spotify and iTunes.
Several months earlier, she released a self-titled EP.
SuRie has also said she is working on a follow-up single for after Eurovision, and that she will tour the UK in May, June and July.
6. Her stage name SuRie is a combination of her forenames Susanna and Marie.
7. SuRie was approached to be a singer by the UK’s Eurovision team around a year after she started writing for other contestants.
She said it was hearing Storm, penned by Nicole Blair, Gil Lewis and Sean Hargreaves, that prompted her to take the chance with it.