Home

Busted ready to rock Bents Park with free Sunday gig

10 July 2017 Community News Festivals


MUSIC fans will be taken to the Year 3000 and beyond this weekend (16 July) as boyband Busted headline the second of this year’s South Tyneside Festival free Sunday Concerts.

A capacity crowd is expected on the day as Charlie Simpson, Matt Willis and James Bourne take to the stage in Bents Park on Sunday afternoon.

Famed for a string of hits including Air Hostess, What I Go to School For, Crashed the Wedding and Year 3000, the double Brit Award-winning pop-rock trio returned to the spotlight last year following an 11-year break.

They released their third album, Night Driver, and came back with a brand new sound as they released the single On What You’re On, as well as embarking on a UK tour.

“We’ll be doing a bit of old stuff and some new stuff, so there’ll be something in there for everyone,” said Charlie Simpson.

“We have always found the northern audiences tend to be among our best. The further north you go, the crowds always get better. Northerners tend to be much more up for it.

“This is the kind of show where everyone can just have fun and a good time, where we can get a good singalong going.”

Busted will be joined at Bents Park by local acts The Understudies, Call on Sunday and Sonny.

Covers band The Understudies can regularly be found  performing in pubs and bars across South Tyneside with their set list which includes tracks from the likes of Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, ELO, David Bowie, The Police, Talking Heads and many more.

Call on Sunday, formerly known as The Waiters, are all South Shields born and bred and no strangers to the Bents Park stage, having previously appeared in 2015 alongside 90s pop acts 5ive and Atomic Kitten.

Sonny is a singer-songwriter who has also performed at the festival previously under his real name Stevie Tennet, and the 18-year-old is currently promoting his new music, described as a mix of indie, R&B, folk and soul.

Councillor Alan Kerr, Deputy Leader of South Tyneside Council, with responsibility for Culture and Leisure said: “There has been a lot of excitement ever since we first announced Busted would be headlining the second of this year’s Sunday Concerts.

“They are a very popular band with fans of all ages. We anticipate huge crowds, and would advise anyone who hasn’t purchased an advance ticket to arrive early if they want to guarantee admission.”

The Sunday Concert series is sponsored by Port of Tyne, Colmans Seafood Temple, Town Centre Automobiles and Little Haven Hotel, and regularly attracts tens of thousands of visitors from across the region and further afield.

As always, entry on the day is free but is strictly on a first come first served basis. The gates will open at approximately 12.30pm. For more information visit the website:www.southtynesidefestival.co.uk